Friday, February 18, 2011

Decisions

The past two weeks have been slightly disappointing.  I have been busy with work and travels and haven’t done enough for my trip.  Although I hope to check some things off my list this weekend.

Two weeks ago, I heard about 6 WWF volunteers abducted in northeastern India in the state of Assam.  I had previously heard that no one goes to Assam because the political situation is not good.  Now I understand why (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/07/wwf-volunteers-kidnapped-_n_819461.html).  I really want to do some trekking in Sikkim because it is much closer than going to Nepal, but with this news, now I wonder what to do?  I have been in touch with a friend of a friend who knows a Sherpa in Nepal.  His name is Pemba and has a website.  I have been browsing the treks I could do.  We have emailed and he said it would be all guest houses versus camping and due to the time of the year I would be there, it may just be he and I!  This sounds very tempting.

I started the Chinese visa application.  I need to finish that next week.  I also made an appointment to get my shots for Thursday.  I have connected with a few more people that have visited this area.  But again, all the final decisions rest with me.  Should I get some help via a travel agent or go it alone?  Hopefully it will all become clear soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment