Friday, April 15, 2011

Taj Mahal and a travel day



What can you say about the Taj? It may be the most beautiful man made structure on earth. Even as you see it in the distance I was surprised how immense it was. As we got closer it really was becoming more and more spectacular than I imagined.

I met Radhika and her husband of one month in Vrindaban. This town alone is something to be explored as Krishna was born here. There are many Hindu temples and many people make the pilgrimage here. There are several famous ashrams.

Their friend Minoch had taken a taxi to Delhi to meet me. Then we were heading to pick up Radhika and Gopal Ji. We would all go to the Taj and grab dinner before I would head back to Delhi.

It was a long day and a long drive but totally worth every moment. Plus I got to meet some amazing people (thanks Dawn)! I felt like I had known them my entire life by the end of the day.

Friday was a travel day first to Kolkata then to Bagdogra. From there someone from the Makaibari Tea Estate picked me up at the airport and it was just over an hour drive to get to Kurseong.

The road winds up the hill with many 180 degree turns. The road is very narrow so many times we had to back-up or wait for other cars or trucks to pass us.

Nayan runs the home stay program at Makaibari. He met us once we reached the estate and took me to the home of the family where I will stay for one week. I was greeted with a cup of this year's first flush tea! Exquisite! I am looking forward to many more cups of tea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilochun/sets/72157627226149714/

2 comments:

  1. I loved the picture of the Taj. Did you take any indoors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't allowed to take photos inside and also we had to take our shoes off. Although we saw plenty of people taking photos anyway. It's a mausoleum inside.

    ReplyDelete